Posted by Gina Mariehttps://soletshangout.com/crispy-chicken-skillet-with-artichokes-beets-lemon-olives/
© 2015 So...Let's Hang Out. All rights reserved.
Crispy Chicken Skillet With Artichokes, Beets, Lemon & Olives
- 1 Tbs [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1J9W9aA"]lard[/aflink] (or other cooking fat/oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
- 6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Salt, pepper, granulated garlic (to taste-- I tend to be pretty liberal with this dish)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- I cup [aflink u="https://soletshangout.com/tag/crock-pot-chicken-broth/"]chicken stock[/aflink]
- 1 candy cane beet, peeled and chopped (if you can't find a candy cane beet, any beet will do)
- 6 [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1QdPQmD"]artichoke hearts[/aflink], chopped
- 1/3 cup [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1BsxVC4"]pitted kalamata olives[/aflink]
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat up a large cast iron skillet over medium to high heat. Melt the lard in the skillet and wait for it to get hot. Once it's heated up, add the onions and garlic to the pan. Allow them to brown a little before adding the chicken.
- Season the chicken liberally with salt, pepper and granulated garlic on all sides. Place the thighs skin down into the hot skillet. Do not fuss with or move the chicken thighs for several minutes. You want a nice crispy crust to form. After about five minutes in the hot pan, check your chicken skins. If they are crispy, you can flip them. If not, continue cooking until they have a nice crispy skin.
- Once the skins are crispy, and you've flipped your chicken thighs you can add the lemon zest, and the chicken stock to the skillet. Add the chopped up beets, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives to the skillet as well. Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes, and then transfer the whole skillet into the oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until the juices of the thighs run clear and the chicken is cooked through.
- After the chicken is done and the veggies are tender, juice a lemon on top of the whole dish and serve!