Posted by Gina Mariehttps://soletshangout.com/dads-favorite-spicy-sausage-soup-with-kale/
© 2015 So...Let's Hang Out. All rights reserved.
Dad’s Favorite Spicy Sausage Soup with Kale
- 1 Tbs. [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1ZDmc1F"]olive oil[/aflink]
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 lbs of uncooked spicy Italian sausage, casings removed (depending on how meaty you want your soup!)
- 6 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 7 Dutch baby potatoes, halved and then cut into thirds (you can also use yukon potatoes, just use less since they are larger)
- 1 28oz can of diced vine ripened tomatoes in their own juices
- 6 cups [aflink u="https://soletshangout.com/how-to-make-roasted-beef-bone-broth-how-its-helping-me-heal-slow-cooker-pressure-cooker-instructions/"]beef broth[/aflink]
- sea salt (I like to use [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1GHeFDg"]this brand[/aflink])
- 1 large head of curly leaf kale, stems removed and cut into pieces
- In a large heavy bottomed soup pot, heat up your olive oil over medium heat. Once it is hot, add in the onions and the garlic and saute them until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- If your spicy sausage has come in a casing, remove them from the casings and add the meat into the pot with the onions and garlic. Break it up while you're cooking it as if it were ground meat. Allow the sausage to brown completely before adding in anything else.
- Once the sausage is browned, add in the chopped celery, carrots, and potatoes. Salt the potatoes liberally.This is all the seasoning your soup if going to need. It will pick up a ton of flavor and spice form the spicy sausage. Stir all of the ingredients together and allow to cook for a couple of minutes before adding in the broth.
- Once a few minutes have passed, add in the beef broth and stir well. Add in the entire can of tomatoes and their juices. Stir well again.
- Allow the soup to come to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer. Put the lid on your pot and allow it to cook and simmer together for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the flavor in the sausage to marry with the other ingredients in the pot.
- Once 30 minutes have passed, taste your soup and adjust seasoning as needed. Add in your kale a couple of minutes before serving. It will wilt quickly in a boiling pot of soup.
- Serve and enjoy! I love to eat this soup with some grated pecorino or parmesan on top!