Posted by Gina Mariehttps://soletshangout.com/roasted-kabocha-squash-carrot-ginger-soup-with-lamb-meatballs/
© 2014 So...Let's Hang Out. All rights reserved.
Roasted Kabocha Squash, Carrot & Ginger Soup With Lamb Meatballs
- 2 tbs [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1nx52CR"]coconut oil[/aflink], melted
- 1 medium kabocha squash, seeded and sliced into chunks
- 5 medium orange carrots, quartered
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 tsp [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1DtfYW8"]ground ginger[/aflink]
- 1 tsp[aflink u="http://amzn.to/1puqNz4"] ground cloves[/aflink]
- 4 cups chicken broth (learn how to make your own [aflink u="https://soletshangout.com/how-to-make-chicken-broth-in-a-crock-pot/"]here[/aflink])
- 1 13.5 oz can of [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1rYopQE"]full fat coconut milk[/aflink]
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 lb grass fed ground lamb
- 1 tsp [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1on2OXt"]granulated garlic[/aflink]
- 1/2 tsp[aflink u="http://amzn.to/1on2OXt"] ground ginger[/aflink]
- 1/2 tsp [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1vWM1Nn"]oregano flakes[/aflink]
- 1/2 tsp [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1wk7bl5"]cinnamon[/aflink]
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs [aflink u="http://amzn.to/1rYsJ2g"]coconut oil[/aflink] (for frying)
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh cut limes
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with tin foil and set aside. Cut up your carrots, onions, and seeded kabocha squash into large chunks. Toss with melted coconut oil, salt, pepper, ginger, and cloves. Make sure all of the veggies are coasted evenly. Lay out the veggies onto the baking sheets along with the whole cloves or garlic and allow to roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the veggies are fork tender. You should be able to scoop the squash away from the skin easily. Once the veggies are done take them out and allow them to cool until they are no longer too hot to handle with your hands.
- Add the carrots, onions and garlic to a heavy bottomed soup pot. Scoop out the meat of the kabocha squash, discarding the skins. Add the scooped out cooked flesh of the squash to the soup pot with the other roasted veggies. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and freshly grated ginger to the pot with the veggies. Allow to simmer over a medium heat for 20 minutes or so in order to allow the flavors to marry.
- While the soup is simmering, start on your lamb meatballs. Add the ground lamb and spices to a bowl and combine well with clean hands. Once the lamb and spices are well combined, portion the lamb into 12 equal portions and roll them into small meatballs. Place a pan on the stove and heat a tbs of coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the meatballs to the pan. Allow them to cook, rotating every couple of minutes in order to cook them fully.
- Once your soup has simmered for 20 minutes, remove it from the heat and using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is completely smooth and creamy.
- After the meatballs are cooked through, you are ready to serve! Fill a bowl with soup, add a couple of meatballs to your bowl of soup and garnish with cilantro and the juice of half a lime (trust me on the lime juice, it's amazing). Enjoy!