So, remember last week when we did our virtual rain dance while chowing down on these scones? Well, IT WORKED! As I’m writing this, the skies are stormy and the raindrops are pounding rhythmically off of my roof. There are puddles. I should know. Emma jumped in one earlier. This is one of the hazards of Golden Retriever ownership. That whole “I’m a water dog” thing? Yeah, that runs deeps. Instincts are real. Where Emma’s instincts are to throw herself into puddles and try to hurl her body into my bubble bath (yes, while I’m inside of it–it’s alarming to see a vivacious sixty-five pound creature running at you full tilt while you are naked in a confined body of water–trust me), my human instincts are telling me to cook something warm. Take a hunk of beef. Put it in a slow cooker. Take a nap. Watch a movie. Wear a chunky sweater. Meditate on the sound of the rain. Be cozy. Put on some jazz music. Pour yourself some tea. Did some bourbon slip itself into that cup of tea? Whoa. Sneaky.
Remember that Bourbon Spiked BBQ Sauce I concocted a while back? Well, let’s put it to good use. Once you’ve crafted the sauce the rest of the recipe is so easy I could teach Emma how to do it. Maybe. I don’t trust her around fire, knives, or a large hunk of brisket. You catch my drift though… it’s another one of those meals that’s going to make itself. I’ve been taking advantage of my crock pot recently. I’ve made this Totally Easy Kalua Pork more times than I’d like to admit. Can you imagine a world where there were more self-reliant appliances? Sure, there’s the slow cooker where your dinner will be done in a few hours. Have they thought of making a slow vacuum-er or a slow laundry folder? What about a slow dog de-mud-puddler? I’d be interested in all of these things. Sure they’re slow… but you can leave them unsupervised. Maybe by the time you came home from work at night it would have managed to vacuum your stairs or fold all the socks or de-mud-puddle the dog’s tail? It’s a start. We’ll work on it. Do you have any robot-inventing friends? Let’s talk logistics.
In order to make this brisket you are going to need three things. Firstly, you’re going to need a brisket. Shocking, I know. Secondly, you are going to need to whip up some of this Bourbon Spiked BBQ Sauce. Thirdly, you’ll need an onion. That’s it. You’re going to season your brisket and sear it off on both sides. Chop your onions, lay them down in your cock pot and place your seared brisket on top of them.
Pour all of your sauce on top of your brisket, put the lid on your slow cooker and allow the whole thing to cook for six to eight hours.
Once it’s cooked through and tender, you simply shred it with a couple of forks. It’s not hard to do. The meat will shred easily. My husband made this into a sandwich. I decided to cook mine up with some chard and a runny egg. It’s versatile. You really can’t go wrong. You know… just follow your instincts. Enjoy!
- 1 batch Bourbon Spiked BBQ Sauce
- 1 3 to 4 lb Beef Brisket
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt, pepper, granulated garlic
- 1 tbs coconut oil, to sear the brisket
- Make a batch of this Bourbon Spiked BBQ Sauce and set aside.
- Heat up your coconut oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Season your brisket on each side with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- Sear your brisket for a couple minutes on each side, or until the meat develops a nice brown crust.
- Once you've seared your brisket, add the onions to the bottom of your crock pot and place the seared piece of meat on top of the onions.
- Pour your batch of BBQ sauce over your brisket and onions so that everything is coated well.
- Put the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for six to eight hours. Your meat should be cooked through and very tender.
- Shred your beef with a fork and serve!